Just wanted to send the community some updates on the vision front and also
get a discussion with the members of the technical committee going here for
next steps on what we're up to with the TC Vision for 2019 .
A couple things:
We finished our feedback phase by closing the survey we had open, and
posting all collected feedback in a document for TC (and community) review
 and having a session at the Boston Forum where we presented the vision,
and also took feedback from those present . There is also some feedback
in Gerrit for the review up of the first draft , so that's a few places
we've covered for feedback.
We're now entering the phase of work where we incorporate feedback into
the next draft of the vision and finalize it for posterity/the governance
repository/ourselves and ourselves.
So! What should feedback incorporation look like? I think we need to have
mbmers of the TC pipe up a bit here to discuss timelines for this round and
also who all will be involved. Some rough estimates we came up with were
something over the course of the 2-3 weeks after the Forum that could then
be +2d into governance by mid-June or so. I'm not sure if that's possible
based on everyone's travel/work/vacation schedules for the summer, but it
would be great. Thoughts on that?
Also - I promised to attempt to come up with some general themes in
feedback we've uncovered for suggestions for edits:
- There is (understandably) a lot of feedback around what the nature of
the vision is itself. This might best be cleared up with a quick prologue
explaining why the vision reads the way it does, and what the intention was
behind writing it this way.
- The writing about constellations, generally, got quite a bit of feedback
(some folks wanted more explanation, others wanted it to be more succinct,
so I think wading through the data to read everyone's input on this is
- Ease of installation & upgrades are language that comes up multiple times
- Many people asked for a bullet-points version, and/or that it be edited
& shortened a bit
- A few people said 2 years was not enough time and this read more like a
5 year vision
- A few people mentioned issues of OpenStack at scale and wondering
whether that might be addressed in the vision
- There was some question of whether it was appropriate to vision for "x
number of users with yz types of deployments" as a target number to hit in
this vision, or whether it should be left for an OpenStack-wide community
- Lots of people loved the idea of constellations
- A lot of likes for better mentoring & the ladders program
- Some likes for diversity across the TC of the future
Okay - I think that's a pretty good summary. If anyone else has any
feedback they'd like to make sure gets into the conversation, please feel
free to reply in this thread.
OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)