As you may or may not have noticed all ovb jobs on rh1 started failing
sometime last night. After some investigation today I found a few issues.
First, our nova db archiving wasn't working. This was due to the
auto-increment counter issue described by melwitt in
Deleting the problematic rows from the shadow table got us past that.
On another db-related note, we seem to have turned ceilometer back on at
some point in rh1. I think that was intentional to avoid notification
queues backing up, but it led to a different problem. We had
approximately 400 GB of mongodb data from ceilometer that we don't
actually care about. I cleaned that up and set a TTL in ceilometer so
hopefully this won't happen again.
Unfortunately neither of these things completely resolved the extreme
slowness in the cloud that was causing every testenv to fail. After
trying a number of things that made no difference, the culprit seems to
have been rabbitmq. There was nothing obviously wrong with it according
to the web interface, the queues were all short and messages seemed to
be getting delivered. However, when I ran rabbitmqctl status at the CLI
it reported that the node was down. Since something was clearly wrong I
went ahead and restarted it. After that everything seems to be back to
I'm not sure exactly what the cause of all this was. We did get kind of
inundated with jobs yesterday after a zuul restart which I think is what
probably pushed us over the edge, but that has happened before without
bringing the cloud down. It was probably a combination of some
previously unnoticed issues stacking up over time and the large number
of testenvs requested all at once.
In any case, testenvs are creating successfully again and the jobs in
the queue look good so far. If you notice any problems please let me
know though. I'm hoping this will help with the job timeouts, but that
remains to be seen.
OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)