I knew that people in China had a 3 days hackathon few months ago I was thinking to have a similar thing in Europe.
My original idea was to propose to add an extra day after the mid-cycle but I am not sure if that is a good idea anymore:
- the next mid-cycle is going to be the first one outside USA and as for any new things it has some level of uncertainty, we know that we could have a less participant than the other meetups, so it is a risk to add the hackathon at this time
- probably it is better to have more than one day for getting the most out of an hackathon event
- ppl attending the hackathon are not necessarily the same person attending a mid-cycle event, I think at the hackathon as a very good opportunity for new contributors
- it is already late for this proposal, I know I had to propose it at the last summit, my fault
- having the hackathon following the mid-cycle gives us the opportunity to have more core reviewers available, which is a key point for getting right directions and stuff done
- cost effective: ppl interested in attending both events can save a travel
It'd be good to have a feedback about the Chinese hackathon experience to understand if it's worth to put effort in making a similar event in other part of the world.
If it's not the mid-cycle I think there are other events where it could be good to have a couple of extra days for the hackathon, I am thinking for example at Fosdem ... well not for 2016 as it is on the week-end after the mid-cycle :)
OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)