settingsLogin | Registersettings

[Openstack] Using multiple compute drivers in Nova?

0 votes

The page http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/compute/hypervisors.html
states:

Most installations use only one hypervisor. However, you can use
ComputeFilter and ImagePropertiesFilter to schedule different
hypervisors within the same installation.

I have both those set, but the "compute_driver" is used to choose
the driver. This is a string, so only one option is available.

How do I use more than one?
--
Life sucks and then you die


Mailing list: http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack
Post to : openstack@lists.openstack.org
Unsubscribe : http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack
asked Jun 24, 2016 in openstack by Turbo_Fredriksson (8,980 points)   7 13 19

6 Responses

0 votes

Excerpts from Turbo Fredriksson's message of 2016-06-24 22:50:40 +0100:

The page http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/compute/hypervisors.html
states:

Most installations use only one hypervisor. However, you can use
ComputeFilter and ImagePropertiesFilter to schedule different
hypervisors within the same installation.

I have both those set, but the "compute_driver" is used to choose
the driver. This is a string, so only one option is available.

How do I use more than one?

If you want to use different compute drivers on one machine, you need
to run two copies of nova-compute on that machine.

You may get some insanity on the resource tracker though, as they'll both
think they have access to the same pool of resources, leading to double
resource availability and likely a lot of failed spawns when the box
gets full.

One has to ask though... what two hypervisors are you wanting to use on
the same box?

responded Jun 24, 2016 by Clint_Byrum (40,940 points)   4 5 9
0 votes

On Jun 25, 2016, at 12:22 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:

Excerpts from Turbo Fredriksson's message of 2016-06-24 22:50:40 +0100:

The page http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/compute/hypervisors.html
states:

Most installations use only one hypervisor. However, you can use
ComputeFilter and ImagePropertiesFilter to schedule different
hypervisors within the same installation.

If you want to use different compute drivers on one machine, you need
to run two copies of nova-compute on that machine.

Yeah, that's what I've heard before. I just found that documentation information,
and that suggests otherwise..

One has to ask though... what two hypervisors are you wanting to use on
the same box?

libvirt (KVM) and nova-docker. I have need for both containers and real
VMs.

I'd very much like to limit my power/cooling requirements by only
run physical machines absolutly necessary. Having to specify one+ host
for containers and one+ host for VMs will mean that these two+ hosts
will individually run "empty" for the most part..

Yes, they will fill up eventually, but I rather only have ONE Compute
running if the containers and VMs fits on ONE..
--
Life sucks and then you die

responded Jun 24, 2016 by Turbo_Fredriksson (8,980 points)   7 13 19
0 votes

On 06/24/2016 05:47 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
On Jun 25, 2016, at 12:22 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:

Excerpts from Turbo Fredriksson's message of 2016-06-24 22:50:40 +0100:

The page http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/compute/hypervisors.html
states:

Most installations use only one hypervisor. However, you can use
ComputeFilter and ImagePropertiesFilter to schedule different
hypervisors within the same installation.

If you want to use different compute drivers on one machine, you need
to run two copies of nova-compute on that machine.

Yeah, that's what I've heard before. I just found that documentation information,
and that suggests otherwise..

One has to ask though... what two hypervisors are you wanting to use on
the same box?

libvirt (KVM) and nova-docker. I have need for both containers and real
VMs.

I'd very much like to limit my power/cooling requirements by only
run physical machines absolutly necessary. Having to specify one+ host
for containers and one+ host for VMs will mean that these two+ hosts
will individually run "empty" for the most part..

Yes, they will fill up eventually, but I rather only have ONE Compute
running if the containers and VMs fits on ONE..

How about running two containers on your host, with one nova-compute in each?

Chris

responded Jun 27, 2016 by Chris_Friesen (20,420 points)   4 17 26
0 votes

On Jun 27, 2016, at 4:07 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

ow about running two containers on your host, with one nova-compute in each?

And those two is configured as docker and kvm respectively? And
in those containers i run either a container or a kvm?

Sounds way to complicated to actually work in the long run..
--
I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they
make as they go by.
- Douglas Adams

responded Jun 27, 2016 by Turbo_Fredriksson (8,980 points)   7 13 19
0 votes

On 06/27/2016 09:31 AM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
On Jun 27, 2016, at 4:07 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

ow about running two containers on your host, with one nova-compute in each?

And those two is configured as docker and kvm respectively? And
in those containers i run either a container or a kvm?

Sounds way to complicated to actually work in the long run..

Without some way to divide the resources between your two nova-compute
instances, they're both going to think that they have access to the whole system
and won't know what resources are used by the other one.

responded Jun 27, 2016 by Chris_Friesen (20,420 points)   4 17 26
0 votes

On Jun 27, 2016, at 11:33 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

Without some way to divide the resources between your two nova-compute instances, they're both going to think that they have access to the whole system and won't know what resources are used by the other one.

I completely understand that, I'm just saying that the documentation
indicate(d) that it is/should be possible to use multiple hypervisors.

Although, the config file DO say "(string value)", not "(list value)".

It was the contradiction between the documentation (as I read/understood
it) and the configuration file that made me hope that maybe, just maybe
I'd be in luck this time.
--
Ehhhhm - The battle cry of the cronical masturbater.
- Charlie Harper

responded Jun 27, 2016 by Turbo_Fredriksson (8,980 points)   7 13 19
...