I want to update the community about what’s going on in Neutron stable branches. I also want to share some ideas on how to improve the process going forward, and get some feedback.
First, some basic info.
- the project currently maintains two stable branches (stable/liberty and stable/mitaka).
- we have a document that captures general OpenStack policy: http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html
- for neutron, we tend to allow all types of applicable bug fixes into the latest branch, while the older (liberty) branch gets High+ priority bug fixes only.
- neutron project runs its own stable program, supervised by its own neutron-stable-maint team.
Since Liberty release, we implemented a so called ‘proactive’ approach towards backports, where all applicable bug fixes were proactively backported into stable branches without waiting for bugs to be reported against stable branches by affected users.
Lately, I implemented a bunch of tools to automate parts of the process. I also documented the work flow in: http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#proactive-backports
(I encourage everyone interested in the stable program to read the section through.)
- in liberty branch, so far we merged 287 patches (in 8 months), with 6 minor releases.
- in mitaka branch, we landed 111 patches so far (in 3 months), with 4 releases.
For comparison, in kilo, we landed 210 patches in 13 months of life of the branch, with 4 releases.
Now that we have the process set to detect candidates for backports, I’d like to get more people involved in both backporting relevant patches to stable branches as well as reviewing them. I thought that we could distribute the work by interested parties. I would love if that job is managed by respective subteams where possible, with the help from neutron-stable-maint team.
The basic idea of triage is captured at: http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#candidate-triage
I wonder whether this is something people interested in particular topics are willing to cover for.
For the start, I produced a bunch of topic specific LP dashboards, specifically:
(There are more tags to consider, but let’s start with those.)
Is there will to help with the process?
While at it, I highly encourage current stable maintainers to check the stable queue more often. To produce a dedicated gerrit dashboard, you can use the following template for gerrit-dash-creator: https://github.com/openstack/gerrit-dash-creator/blob/master/dashboards/neutron-subprojects-stable.dash I try to keep it in sync with governance changes.
An example of the current dashboard can be found at: https://goo.gl/uiltP9
Thanks a lot for everyone who helps with the load, and keep up the good job!
OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)